|at ( view profile)|
|Location||5350 Canotek Rd Unit 9|
|Date Posted||Sep 17|
|Category|| Interconnected Community |
|Opportunity Type|| Volunteer |
|Estimated time (hours)||2-4 hours per month|
|Targeted Skills||Creativity, design, electrical and mechanical skills a plus to fix lights and small appliances.|
• Sort through received donations;
• Place what is useful for families in designated storage area(s);
• Set aside items suitable for other HWF areas, for resale or for disposal;
• Test battery operated and electric items to ensure they work
• light cleaning of items if soiled;
• Keep storage area organized;
• Select and pack items for each family or individual receiving a delivery, using a list of needs as provided by the Visitors Team and;
• Label packed boxes or bags with the name of the family clearly identified as per the list from the Visitors Team (often the first name).
Note: Not all tasks will be required for each shift. Sorting and packing are usually done on separate shifts. Sorting is done in the days after donations are received, and packing is then done in the days before deliveries are made.
Skills, experience and qualifications required:
• Physically able to lift boxes and heavy small items;
• Able to work independently or in small teams;
• Attention to detail;
• Exercise judgement considering the needs of different ages, and considering the suitability of donated items;
• Able to use and have access to a computer and;
• Able to co-ordinate and communicate with other HWF volunteers.
• Respect for all HWF procedures and safety measures;
• Completion of Waiver and Sign-Up sheet before first shift;
• Able to travel to and work at the HWF warehouse and;
• Meet weekly timelines.
• One shift every 2 to 3 weeks for 2 to 4 hours (depending on the number of families and number of volunteers and;
• Training received in orientation and working paired with experienced volunteer.
Note: The time to complete the work is arranged within the team. No specific time is set to perform duties. However, items must be packed and ready for the Wednesday night deliveries.