|at ( view profile)|
|Location||610 Bronson Ave|
|Date Posted||Jun 25|
|Category|| Interconnected Community |
|Opportunity Type|| Volunteer |
|Subject Area||Organizational management|
|Estimated time (hours)||30 hours per week for several months|
|Targeted Skills||Education, leadership, ESL, communications|
Help Lesotho (www.helplesotho.org ) is an Ottawa-based educational NGO working in the mountain Kingdom of Lesotho, southern Africa, reaching more than 15,000 orphans and vulnerable children (OVC), youth and grandmothers annually to build resilience, foster self-management, increase healthy attitudes and knowledge of HIV/AIDS and gender equity and to take action for the benefit of others. Our intensive programs are build on best practices in pedagogy, psychology, cognitive development and education and have gained the highest respect from international organizations, the Canadian accreditors, and our beneficiaries.
Help Lesotho seeks a recently retired education or leadership professional volunteer to spend several months in Lesotho to build the capacity of our all-local staff. Work will primarily be conducted at Help Lesotho’s two centres but may include occasional travel to other parts of Lesotho. Building materials for sustainability after the volunteer leaves is essential.
JOB SUMMARY: The Professional Volunteer to Build Program Staff Capacity (PVC) will work in a fast-paced, professional environment with an outstanding program management team led by our country director. Reporting directly to the country director and depending on the background of the PVC, areas of possible contribution would be drawn from the following needs, defined on the ground:
- Provide mentorship of staff with issues of professional burnout from the intensely emotionally laden roles and responsibilities they carry;
- Help individual staff identify and address their professional challenges and opportunities;
- Provide additional training and capacity development on various topics, such as computer skills, report writing and facilitation strategies;
- Teacher training;
- Supporting the measurement and evaluation department;
- Support the Country Director with various tasks including drafting proposals, overseeing program evaluations, and providing management training and support to senior staff;
- Provide educational and pedagogical expertise to develop, measure and improve educational materials;
- Coordinate with Help Lesotho’s Canadian office on special events/reports.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Professional experience in the education field (school principal/department head from a Canadian school board) or senior leadership field (leadership coach; executive non-profit experience, etc.)
- Outstanding motivator, exceptional leader and strong communicator;
- Experience in developing and delivering capacity-building training to people with a broad range of experience levels and in a developing country context;
- Ability to work with and lead a strong existing team;
- Energetic, flexible, humble, patient and open to new cultures;
- International travel experience required, especially in developing countries;
- ESL teaching experience an asset;
- Willingness to gain solid knowledge of HIV/AIDS as it pertains to Lesotho;
- Commitment to gender equity; and
- Proven expertise in Microsoft Office, including Outlook.
Pre-departure training: The successful candidate will be provided with materials and receive training in Ottawa or remotely if necessary, before going to Lesotho and support throughout from the Canadian office. Training will cover Help Lesotho’s programs, cross-cultural sensitivity, local context, workplan specifics and clear expectations.
Funding: Help Lesotho will provide safe, suitable accommodation, internet, utilities, airfare to and from Lesotho, and in-country travel for work purposes. The candidate will be expected to pay for food, medical insurance and personal expenses.
Please submit covering letter, CV and references as soon as possible to: email@example.com